Water management system can save Municipalities millions
Municipalities lose millions of litres of water, and millions of Rands, every year due to the uncontrolled supply of free basic water, theft and tampering.
WEG-Wise, together with Jeffares & Green as their technical partner in Africa, identified the need to provide the South African water sector with a management tool which will assist those municipalities responsible for water service delivery to manage water supply within the confines of current Free Basic Water legislation, municipal by-laws and potential water restrictions and ever increasing costs.
WEG-Wise Africa, in association with the Dutch mother company WEG-Wise Netherlands, developed a low cost water management system which is robust, user friendly and can provide the following unique solutions to water services delivery:
- Limit the water supply by remote i.e. the water supply will be cut-off after the pre-set daily allowance has been reached and thereafter the flow will be limited to a preset minimum flow rate
- Manage the flow pressure of the free basic water allowance to the consumer throughout the day so that there will be no need to cut off the water supply, thereby significantly reducing any negative social impacts.
- Detect leaks in the mains and provide instantaneous water balances.
- Detect illegal connections or meter by-passing
- Provide automated meter readings direct to office based system i.e. no more need for manual meter readings or data capture processes - resulting in significant savings in operating costs.
- Improve billing accuracy through the eradication of human error in the manual meter reading and the data capture processes. It has been shown that improved accuracy is directly related to consumers' willingness to pay.
WEG-Wise Africa will be the lead company, taking overall contractual responsibility for the project and project managing from inception through to delivery and implementation.
WEG-Wise Africa is a South African company established in 2010 with its head office and manufacturing assembly plant in Cape Town. The company provides technology-based solutions for water and electricity distribution and is introducing the WEG-Wise system into South Africa to support local authorities.
The company, in conjunction with its Dutch mother company WEG-Wise Netherlands, is currently implementing intelligent water metering pilot studies in:
- Worcester, Breedevalley Local Municipality, Western Cape,
- Newcastle, Newcastle Municipality, KwaZulu-Natal,
- Hilton, uMgungundlovu District Municipality, KwaZulu-Natal
Company Profile (Jeffares & Green)
Jeffares & Green (Pty) Ltd (J&G), a long-established (1922) South African-based consulting engineering company, will be solely contractually responsible for the successful undertaking of the project, and will act as the lead consultant to WEG-Wise.
J&G has offices in Pietermaritzburg, Durban, Port Elizabeth, Johannesburg, Pretoria and Cape Town. The company has also been involved in projects located in other African countries including Lesotho, Botswana, and Mozambique and has associates with Namibia, Swaziland and Zambia.
The company has extensive institutional and technical experience in the field of rural and urban water and sanitation planning, design, implementation and operating of these services and facilities within the municipal environment.
J&G is currently implementing intelligent water meter pilot studies in the uMgungundlovu District Municipality area with WEG-Wise. J&G will be responsible for the management, training and technical support to the system drawing on their extensive knowledge of the water sector in the municipal environment.
The firm has over the past decade transformed itself into being a truly BEE-owned and driven company with a current black ownership and management of some 32.6% black equity ownership. 25% ownership is held by black females. J&G is a Level 3 Contributor to BEE.
- Tags: Water & Sanitation